Thursday, May 8, 2008

No, you don't have to hate advertising.

I've been hearing lately this quote that people within the business like to say, "you have to hate advertising to truly love it." Besides it lacking any sense it would be stupid for anyone in the business to think that way.
Earlier this semester we were sitting at a breakout session with Brandcenter board members. Important advertising people. And we are going around the room introducing ourselves and we each said why we are in advertising. Then a guy blurts out "well, I first have to say I hate advertising...", I'm sitting there thinking what a pretentious comment. Think about it, do you really hate what you'll be devoting your career to, do you really hate what you paid a large amount of money to go into grad school and learn?
To my surprise, this guy is not the only one who thinks that way, I've seen this motto in many blogs, and people think they are so cool and so interesting by thinking so. I will just say that it's very pretentious and makes you sound stupid.
We are not in this to save the world, or make art or find the answer to the worlds problems, although some of these may come as consequences. We are here to make brands famous and talk to people about them.

No comments: