Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What do you do when you conquer the musical world?

A solid fourth album.



That's what Coldplay did. Yes, I like Coldplay. Is that wrong? Maybe it is to some Pitchfork-loving people who don't wander outside what the Bucktown reviewer tells them (and believe me, I like and respect Pitchfork, but I don't trust them blindly on everything.) They've been throwing stones at Coldplay ever since A Rush of Blood to the Head, and so has all the "hipster/indie" tribe. Why do we feel that when a band starts being successful (in this case, very) they are stolen from our pick-up conversations and we suddenly loose a step of coolness by saying we like a band that everyone likes. What is son wrong with big bands these days?

I love Coldplay, I think they're a serious band, a band that everyone likes, with their own style that maybe they have exploited too much (but who hasn't, not everyone is Lou Reed, and believe even Lou can get pretty boring around the 80's.)
I mean, they make good songs. Commercial? Maybe. Easy to listen? Yes. But, is that so bad? Sometimes we tend to over-analyze music and we don't realize that it's just about enjoying it. If you are doing that it doesn't matter if they went commercial or starve to death, you either like it or you don't. So, don't hate Coldplay for what they are, hate them if you really don't like the way they sound.

Viva la Vida is a good album, maybe not their best, yet good and consistent in most times. I do have to say that Mr. Eno's hand behind the controls is evident, and while adding some The Edge-like guitar reefs every now and then, the band maintains their own sound, the one they have been building up, and perfecting, since Parachutes. For the most part the songs are very Coldplay, except three tracks that run longer than 6 minutes, quite unnecessary and out of their style. But, good try.

I will see them live next Wednesday at the United Center in Chicago. From my two previous experiences with Coldplay live I'm expecting a pretty good show. I'll tell you all about it. Until then, Viva la Vida.

No comments: